The Faires House
Considered the oldest standing house in Mckinney, John Faires arrived in Mckinney and built this home in 1854. Mr. Faires, a blacksmith by trade, was one of the many pioneers who came from Tennessee to Texas. This greek revival style home boasts a front door that was hand chiseled by Mr. Faires himself. Originally located on South Tennessee Street, 2 civil war era bullets were discovered in the home when it was moved to its current location.
The first schoolhouse in Mckinney was built in 1877. In 1892, J.B. Wilmeth built the 2nd schoolhouse which was used until 1922. This replica was built in 2005, which demonstrates 2 front doors: 1 for girls and 1 for boys. Students typically went to school twice a day in order to return home mid day and tend to chores on the farm. School went through the 7th grade, at which time students were eligible to take an exam at the county courthouse to receive their diploma.
The Taylor Inn
Otherwise known as the ‘Two-Bit’ Taylor Inn, 25 cents bought drummers (or salesmen) a bed for the night, clothes laundered and a hot breakfast. The Inn was conveniently located next to the jockey lot by the square before it was moved to its current location. Built in 1863, Armsted Taylor paid $340 for their Salt-box style home where he and wife Tabitha Jane Scott raised their 7 children.
The Dulaney Cottage
Home to Dr. Joseph Dulaney and his wife, Mrs. Lucy Ann Field, this 1875 cottage was originally located on the corner of Chestnut and Anthony Street. Dr. Dulaney was a surgeon in the Civil War from Tennessee who died shortly after their 3rd child was born. The doctor’s office displays several of Dr. Dulaney’s medical pieces that were used in the 19th century. The upstairs was added on after Dr. Dulaney died and made into bedrooms for the children.
The Dulaney House
In 1916, Lucy Ann Field Dulaney moved into The Dulaney House that was built by her brother and prominent Dallas banker, John Field. After having been widowed, Mr. Field decided to move to Mckinney and build this stately Prairie style home to reside in with his sister, niece and nephew. 30 days before the house was completed, Mr. Field died. Mrs. Dulaney and her children moved into the home where the family resided for many years to come. Sleeping quarters, original fixtures, solid mahogany pocket doors and indoor plumbing were all a part of the home, which is currently under renovation to make into a bed and breakfast.
The Johnson House
Built in 1870 by Dr. James Harmon, a local photographer, this Victorian Cottage with Italianate eave brackets is original to its current location. Mr. John Johnson, a Confederate Captain, bought the home in 1878 where he raised his 13 children to be closer to school. Mr. Johnson was known as a colorful politician who served as a State Senator and a Legislator. He is credited with writing the Homestead Bill, which became law in 1876. A descendant of Mr. Johnson, Bobby Younger, was a World War II airman and hero who was killed in action upon his 13th mission over Germany. Mr. Younger graduated from Mckinney High School and was a freshmen at Texas A&M when he volunteered for duty at the age of 18. ‘Bobby’s Room’ is located upstairs and has been dedicated to honor Mr. Younger. The home is currently used as a bridal suite.
In 1918 Mr. Brimer built this General Store, where farmers left a list of supplies to be filled at the front counter. Originally located at Graves and Howell Street, The Dixie Store (named after Mr. Brimer’s daughter) was considered a gathering place where gossip was shared or games such as checkers were played. Dixie was noted for rewarding children who brought in a report card with straight A’s but punishing those who misbehaved with a paddle who also were told to sign their name on the paddle.
In 1994 the Foote Baptist Church was moved to Chestnut Square and carefully renovated to its turn-of-the-century splendor representing a typical congregational meeting house of Collin County. Rededicated as the Chapel at Chestnut Square, the Chapel offers a beautiful Victorian setting ideal for weddings, receptions, meetings, and parties.
The Bevel House
The Bevel House is a 1920 era Arts and Crafts bungalow that is currently used for wedding receptions, parties and events. It was renovated in 2007 and opened as the Bevel Reception House at Chestnut Square in July, 2007. The name Bevel House comes from the original owner of the property, Will A. Bevel who moved to Collin County when he was nine years old. Initially he was a farmer, then engaged in ginning and the grocery business, owning the blue store on the corner of Bevoe and McDonald.